Shapiro's parents

Heer, Jeet (National Post) JHeer at nationalpost.com
Thu Apr 4 08:48:55 PST 2002

>From the New York Post:

PRO-ISRAEL PROTESTERS VENT THEIR

RAGE HERE

By SIMON CRITTLE and NEIL GRAVES

April 1, 2002 -- As the Mideast

conflict took yet another turn for

the worse yesterday, emotions

boiled over at two pro-Israel

rallies in New York.

Hundreds of angry protesters

massed outside the Israeli

Consulate in Midtown to show

support for Jews living in the

violence-ravaged country, while a

large crowd also demonstrated at the Palestinian

observer mission to the United Nations on nearby East

65th Street.

"My friends, today Israel is in a state of war," said Shay

Rubinstein, president of the student activist group

Betar, which organized the consulate rally.

"Our enemies have only one purpose: to exterminate the

Jewish people."

"But if history taught us one lesson, it is that if Jews

are united, no one can defeat us."

Protesters outside the consulate waved Israeli and

American flags, and brandished placards, including one

held by a small boy that read "Arafat will bring suicide

bombers here."

At one point, a 76-year-old woman became enraged at

the sight of a Palestinian flag, which was hacked to

pieces by another demonstrator.

The crowd also vented its anger at the United Nations -

which over the weekend demanded Israel withdraw

troops from Palestinian-controlled territories - and

marched on its headquarters.

Speakers at the rally condemned New York humanitarian

worker Adam Shapiro, branding him a traitor. Shapiro,

30, of Brooklyn, is Jewish, and spent Friday night

treating wounded Palestinians inside Yasser Arafat's

besieged West Bank compound.

"Shapiro is a traitor, a piece of garbage, and we are

going to make his life and his parents' lives a living

hell," said Betar spokesman Ron Torossian.

He told the crowd that Betar would hold protests this

week outside the Sheepshead Bay apartment building of

Shapiro's parents.

Teenage protester David Ambinder, from Monsey,

Rockland County, said he was saddened by the turmoil

now gripping Israel.

"I am very upset and I wish I could do more," said the

17-year-old.

Meanwhile, at the Palestine U.N. observer mission, more

than 100 gathered to protest the bombings in Israel.

Protest organizer Rabbi Avi Weiss said the beleaguered

nation was on the right track in using its military to

wreck the terrorists' infrastructure.

"If they get away with the [suicide bombings] over there,

a lot of people will come over here - or may already be

here - and try to do the same," Weiss said. "To me, this

is not only Israel's fight, it's America's fight."