Italian Delegation Expelled From Israel, Agnoletto Beaten Up

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 11:46:14 PST 2002

[I translated the below from an email received from the left-wing Italian journal, Carta. The original italian follows the translation. -Thomas Seay]

A delegation of about 40 Italian parliament members, trade-unionists, intellectuals and people from civil society who had left Wednesday evening- to replace Italian members of Action for Peace- for Israel were expelled the moment they set foot in Tel Aviv.

No explanation has been given for the unprecedented event which occurs just at the time when the European Union has decided to send the Spanish Foreign Minister and European Foreign Minister, Solana, to meet with Sharon and Arafat. The reaction of both the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Italian embassy has been silence.

The israeli police force acted brutally. The italian delegation attempted passive resistance by sitting on the airport floor but ex european parliament member,Luciana Castellina, and the General Secretary of the Fiom union, Claudio Sabattini, were dragged away by force, while Vittorio Agnoletto was carried to a room and hammered with punches and kicks.

Even Marco Revelli was roughed up. The Green Party Senator, Francesco Martone and the Green Party Deputy, Luana Zanella, were interrogated and finally, so it seems, were the only ones allowed to remain in Israel, along with a few other parliament members.

The delegation -Carta editor Anna Pizzo was in the group - flew on Olympic airlines with a stop in Athen. Action for Peace which had arived in Isreal a week ago returned on the same plane. The delegation made every attempt to delay the airplane's departure.

--- carta <carta at carta.org> wrote:

> Oggetto: Espulsa la delegazione italiana, picchiato
> Agnoletto
>
> Da Carta, urgente
>
> La delegazione di una quarantina di parlamentari,
> sindacalisti,
> intellettuali, persone della società civile che era
> partita mercoledì sera
> per la Palestina, per fare da staffetta con i membri
> di Action for Peace che
> stanno tornando in Italia, è stata espulsa da
> Israele appena messo piede a
> Tel Aviv. Nessuna spiegazione è stata data del
> provvedimento, che non ha
> precedenti, e che avviene proprio mentre la Unione
> europea ha deciso di
> inviare il ministro degli esteri spagnolo (la Spagna
> ha la presidenza di
> turno della Ue) e il "ministro degli esteri"
> europeo, Solana, ad incontrare
> sia Sharon che Arafat. Da parte della Farnesina e
> dell'ambasciata italiana
> solo silenzio.
> Le forze di polizia israeliane si sono comportate
> con brutalità. La
> delegazione ha cercato di fare resistenza passiva,
> sedendosi per terra
> nell'aeroporto, ma Luciana Castellina, ex
> parlamentare europea, e Claudio
> Sabattini, segretario generale della Fiom, sono
> stati trascinati via con la
> forza, mentre Vittorio Agnoletto è stato portato in
> una stanza e, come ha
> poi raccontato, "massacrato con pugni e calci".
> Anche Marco Revelli è stato
> malmenato. Il senatore verde Francesco Martone e la
> deputata verde Luana
> Zanella sono stati trattenuti e infine, pare, sono i
> soli ad essere stati
> ammessi in Israele, insieme ad alcuni altri
> parlamentari dei Ds.
> La delegazione, della quale fa parte la redattrice
> di Carta Anna Pizzo è
> stata imbarcata sull'aereo Olympic, con scalo ad
> Atene, con il quale tornano
> anche molti di Action for Peace arrivati in Israele
> una settimana fa. La
> delegazione ha cercato in ogni modo di ritardare la
> partenza dell'aereo.

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx