Friedman's 4/3 NYT column

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Apr 4 21:21:40 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Kromm" <ckromm at mindspring.com>

<
> Friedman has actually had reasonably decent politics around the
Palestinians,

-I challenge you to find one Palestinian or Arab who agrees with the -assessment that Friedman has "reasonably decent politics around the -Palestinians"

Friedman supports a two-state solution with the dismantling of Israeli settlements and Palestinians having full sovereignty over the Temple Mount, exactly the demands of the Palestinians that the Israelis rejected. He denounced Israel for expanding settlements during the Oslo peace process, calling them "greedy, idiotic settlements" or "idiotic rapacious settlements." He has supported international peacekeepers in the West Bank to guarantee the peace, something Palestinians have promoted and Israel has opposed.

Yes, Friedman doesn't like suicide bombers but his solution is the dismantling of the settlements and international peacekeeping.

How is that not decent politics?

-- Nathan Newman