McReynolds on A20 controversies

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Fri Apr 5 11:38:42 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Thomas Seay wrote:
>
> >I am not for barring WWP from the demonstration, but I
> >also dont think any compromises should be made towards
> >them. Integrity is much more important than getting
> >"bodies" to the demonstration. Unity AT ALL COST
> >always plays into the hands of groups like WWP
>
> Who said anything about unity at all cost, much less AT ALL COST? Why
> do so many people make such interpretive leaps so often? Maybe they
> find it easier to argue with fictitious extreme positions than with
> actual ones.

Thomas is making an accurate "interpretive leap." I've gotten emails from supporters of groups like the IAC and they always try to dismiss criticism as being a threat to "unity." If a group is making constant appeals to unity, either to deflect criticism or to manufacture an illusion that everybody is working together, it's safe to say that they are arguing for unity in the strongest sense possible.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)