Tom the Exterminator on the Middle East

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:57:44 PST 2002

virgil tibbs wrote:

> Sincere question about duck rows:
>
> Proposition 1: Palestinians are denied a fundamental
> right to self determination (unproblematic)
>
> Proposition 2: There is no cohesive Arab voice
> (pararphrased from one of your previous posts)
>
> Now, given the truth of 1, why is 2 also true?

Huh? The two are synonymous. The Palestinians are denied the conditions which would allow the formation of a cohesive voice.

The only reasonable course for an individual Palestinian to follow is to choose an action that he/she thinks _might_ represent a significant Palestinian perspective and act on it. If others follow, it gains some credence. If many follow, it gains more credence. Et cetera.

I was led to call McReynolds a racist sometime last year (and I stick to the charge) precisely on the basis that he implied that the Palestinians themselves were responsible for the lack of a coherent policy. First you gag a person, then you sentence him to death for his failure to speak up.

Carrol

Carrol