McReynolds on A20 controversies

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 5 13:21:39 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Chuck Munson wrote:
>
> >OK. Then's let spend some time an energy getting out libertarians and
> >right wingers who are against the war. It's all a matter of bodies, right?
>
> I wouldn't make a habit of this coalitional sluttishness, but in this
> case, I'd say yes. Anyone who wants to say no to imperial war is
> welcome in my book.

Actually, I did once work with a libertarian in trying to build opposition to Carter's revival of draft registration and boycott of the '80s Olympics. It worked fairly well. But he wasn't racist -- and it's on racism and gay-baiting, not political theory, that I think a line should be drawn.

You wouldn't really want a group carrying the Swastika in your parade would you. And there is really no need to argue against the likes of Munson -- they can always be easily isolated if a coalition is growing, and if they attempt to sabotage it (e.g., by equating red with fascism) they will simply be laughed at. The overwhelming proportion of a mass movement are simply people of good will (liberals), and they can always be persuaded by demands for democracy. That's how PLP, working through its WSA 'front,' won control of SDS, and while I neither was nor am a friend of PLP, the Weathermen & RYMII people were fools to walk out just because the lost an election. (And I was a fool to walk out with them.) (And to return to an argument of a couple years ago about self-criticism, this is _not_ a self-criticism because Cox1969 is not Cox2002.)

Carrol