ok solve this

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 6 02:45:09 PST 2002

'dlaw' smuggles all of the relations of capitalist exchange into his 'communist' conundrum. Dollars, lending, property, rationing, the state and so on. And then he says 'solve that without reference to the law of contract'. Well, obviously I can't, which is just another way of saying that he is not describing a communist society (and let's face it, who could?).

But of course it is a failure of imagination to think that all questions are subject to the law. What is role of lawyers in deciding whether the earth goes around the sun, or vice versa? None, or at least none that is defensible. When I need to fix my car, I don't consult a lawyer. In other forms of social organisation, people will not need a lawyer to fix their allocation of resources. Lawyers and the law only exist because of the failure of capitalist society to spontaneously reproduce the conditions of human existence. we will no more need them under a different form of social organisation than we would need Shamans or Totem poles.

Probably we could keep them on as a source of public entertainment, in the same way that archery, once superseded as a means of fighting wars or hunting was retained as sport.

You say opposing lawyers is populist. I say its popular. -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'