Yes, anti-Semitic, but unintended, and harmless

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Apr 6 10:09:53 PST 2002

The suggestion that placing IDF stormtroopers alongside Roman soldiers beside a crucified Jesus is "antisemitic," because it supposedly echoes the Christian libel that "the Jews crucified Jesus", falls victim to the exact same fallacy that it resents-- taking a particularly vile group of Jews as standing for Jews in general. Exactly like the Zionists do, invertedly. But it is very clear historically that a particular group of Jews--namely the Roman-collaborator government of Judea and their followers, the "Herodians,"--were more than eager to have Jesus's Messianic movement suppressed (see Revolution in Judea by Hyam Maccoby). Moreover, Chip has it exactly
>backward when he says that Christians came to demonize

"those Jews who refused to embrace Jesus as the Messiah." It was of the essence of Pauline Christianity (the creation of a Roman/Herodian police agent named Saul) that Jesus's claim to be the foretold Davidic messianic king (the legal basis for his execution) should be emptied of its specifically Jewish nature and transformed into misty nonsense useful for quieting the restless Gentile masses of the Empire.

The Scottish pastor, fully consciously or not, got it exactly right.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64