Chomsky on Palestine

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 6 12:39:34 PST 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:

>Doug, I wonder what mass following means. Wall Street was a successful
>book, just like Chomsky's. Would you say that you have a mass following?

Heavens no. Noam is a global star. You don't get to be among the 10 most cited authors around (though I do wonder about the details of that claim) and not get noticed. What serious intellectual sells more books than Chomsky? I bet he sells many times more than Samuel Huntington or Joseph Nye. Of course they're ruling class intellectuals, which is why they're in the NYT. But you can't exactly say Chomsky is ignored. As Zizek said in my interview with him, it's not that people don't "know" things - ideology is a harder nut to crack than that.

Doug