Nasty Philosophers

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:21:40 PDT 2002

>'He was wretch'? You're losing control of your articles, Justin. Maybe
>you're becoming Russian? :)

Is must be so, da.

>By all accounts, Heidegger possessed a lot of charisma.

Yes, but this is consistent with being wretch.

>I think there was something slightly sado-masochistic in the
>Arendt-Heidegger relationship. She was just ecstatic when H finally came
>grovelling to her in 1949.

Obviously. What else makes a Jewish leftist voluntarily abase herself before a Nazi?

>While we're on the subject of famous dickhead intellectuals, Marx was kind
>of a creep.

Well, he was testy and arrogant, schtupped the maid, but seems to have treated Jenny well, was a bit of prig, hurt Engels' feelings by not offering proper commiseration when Engels' unmarried S.O. died--Engels, like Mill, was ahead of his time on this, course in Mill's case Harriet Taylor was already married to someone else so they couldn't get married until her hubby died. Anyway, I wander. Marx was not a real creep, mostly didn't treat the people around him too badly. He aws fierce politiaclly of course, but that is different.

And Arendt called Adorno the most despicable person she had ever
>met in her life. When she first met him, she immediately after told her
>then-husband Gunter Stern, "Der kommt uns nicht zu Hause!" "That one's not
>stepping foot in our house!"

I know nothing about Adorno personally.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx