Why we will need lawyers anyway

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Apr 8 13:52:13 PDT 2002

Gar writes:

> Now try and write a clear simple explanation of anything, while
> taking precautions against in bad-faith mis-readings. It can
> sometimes be done, but not always.

I'll repeat myself: we need some lawyers, but only enough to get these documents written correctly and safely the first time (which given the number of lawyers and contracts out there, should have been done about a zillion times over at this point -- I'm always up for a big laugh when I see someone give me a contract that was written by a lawyer that's just a big turd ... it's not like any of 99.99% of the people out there need a _new_ contract written). If you can buy a house with a standard contract without lawyers (like you can at least in California), then it's not such a big deal. Having a standard contract for contractors would go a long way toward helping people because people who _have no contract at all_ wind up in court when something goes wrong and they can't resolve it.

Note that if it weren't for lawyers, we could just add to the UCC that there are to be standard contracts and that everyone is bound by them and we'd be done.

/jordan