Moore's representation of the working class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 8 15:21:32 PDT 2002

kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:

>At 05:34 PM 4/8/02 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>joanna bujes wrote:
>>
>>>Of course, of course. But the working class is represented in the
>>>media in exactly the way that Moore presents himself.
>>
>>While Moore himself lives on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in a
>>duplex he bought years ago for $1.7m. Guess the hat helps keep him
>>in touch with his roots.
>

>last time he was on FOX he talked about how he was a millionaire,
>brought it up several times. he's hardly trying to hide it from
>anyone from what i could see.

Maybe not. And where he lives and how much he makes is really secondary to what he does with his writing & filmmaking, which can be very very good. But I think he tries too hard to exude working class cred. So he ends up projecting a rather patronizing, even insulting, and cliched image of what the "real" working class is like.

Doug