Moore's representation of the working class

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Mon Apr 8 16:11:49 PDT 2002

At 06:21 PM 4/8/02 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>last time he was on FOX he talked about how he was a millionaire, brought
>>it up several times. he's hardly trying to hide it from anyone from what
>>i could see.
>
>Maybe not. And where he lives and how much he makes is really secondary to
>what he does with his writing & filmmaking, which can be very very good.
>But I think he tries too hard to exude working class cred. So he ends up
>projecting a rather patronizing, even insulting, and cliched image of what
>the "real" working class is like.
>
>Doug

an older mentor tells me that it was quite fashionable for new left men in the 60s to practically kill each other trying to demonstrate some working class street cred.

in my personal experience, paul piccone takes the cake at the above game. not in his work, but in his personal presentation.

as for moore, don't intereact with him. have only seen him on his show three times and once on FOX. don't pay that much attention to the guy--but he's sure pissed off a lot of people on geek, teacher, and other professional lists lately. what always strikes me about him is how ill at ease he is, how self-conscious. i've always gathered the specs, coat, longish hair, cap were about trying to hide himself.

his films certainly patronize the working class and demonstrate a inclination to blame individuals in the context of a lack of any structural analyses of what's going on in Flint.

Flint, last time I was there, was pretty fun. I went dancing and played pool at a C&W bar painted flamingo pink. someone tried to teach a very drunk moi how to line dance. heh. my partner reported that the automobile museum was closed down and downtown was boarded up, most of the businesses split because they couldn't deal with the petty crime and lack of business. the Holiday Inn sure had a nice "Welcome to Flint" basked filled with stuff. The travel guide was pretty thick with attempts to promote the local fare, most of it no longer in business.

kelley