Ivy Legacies

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 9 20:33:13 PDT 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> >What did you think of Yalie legacies, Doug? Surely, they weren't as
> >numerous in your time as in Dubya's.
> >
> >-- Luke
> >

> Even today, at Princeton, an alumni child had a 40% chance of admission, as
> opposed to to about 10% for the general population. There were plenty of
> them in my time, four years after Doug's. . . . I married one! (Her dad,
> class of '49, got in on the GI Bill.)

It must have been about 45 years ago sitting in the fac/grad st coffee shop in Haven Hall with the English prof (I forget his name) who served on the Univ. Admissions Committee. He observed solemnly that the best indicator of success was to be the child of a U.ofM. alumni. Another tidbit. All students from New Trier needed was a note from the principal. Otherwise an out-of-state student had to be in the upper 5% of his/her graduating class to even be considered. (He didn't mention it, but I presume the rules were different for a very fast young black student from an Arkansas high school. I forget his name -- perhaps Pace.)

Carrol