Palestine, aka, The right list

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Apr 10 01:12:53 PDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Bryan Atinsky wrote:

> However, I do not think that this is the case for the Palestinian side.
> I estimate that the majority of the Palestinian population would be
> interested in just such a solution, and that the Palestinian Authority
> would have no trouble persuading their population of something of this
> sort.

I should have phrased that is less parallel form. What I meant on the Palestinian side was that the voices of compromise, in the PLO, are currently championing the two-state solution, and have been for 20 years, where the forces currently championing the one-state solution on the Palestinian side are the noncompromisers in Hamas and IJ. That's what I meant on that side of the equation when I said that advocating a one-state solution in the current conjuncture put you on the side of those who didn't want to compromise. You quite right that I made my argument unclear by making it too symetrical.

The idea that the secular one-state solution is best and just, but that the two state solution will have to come first in this world, has been consistently argued by Edward Said ever since Camp David.

Michael