Why Fundamentalists support Israel- straight from Pat Robertson

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Apr 10 10:34:54 PDT 2002

---- Original Message ----- From: "Heer, Jeet (National Post)" <JHeer at nationalpost.com>

>Nathan's point that I underestimate the importance of religion is
>well-taken. But really, now much power do Christian fundamenalists have
over
>U.S. foreign policy? Right Wing Christians also supported aparteid in South
>Africa and continue to support Ian Paisley types in Northern Ireland, yet
>this doesn't seem to weigh on US foreign policy as much as Israel does.

How much power do Christian fundamentalists have over US foreign power? According to Bush, he is one of them. And remember Reagan's rumination about the coming apocolypse? Maybe both have just bull-shitted their supporters, but there is a whole circle of folks from the religious right swarming around the foreign policy establishment on these issues.

As for South Africa, it was never the top priority of the Right, so the passion of the left on the issue won out. As for Northern Ireland, any strength of the religious right on the issue is overwhelmed by the Catholic vote in the US-- and since many religious protestants have been trying to woo Catholics in recent years, they were unlikely to make support for Paisley a litmus test.

-- Nathan Newman