Why Fundamentalists support Israel- straight from Pat Robertson

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Apr 10 21:23:59 PDT 2002

Caught a few minutes of this doofus tonite on Hannity and Colmes, which I ordinarily don't watch. Colmes was asking PR if a person could go to heaven if s/he didn't believe in Jesus. PR did his shit-eating grin routine and danced around the question, saying well anyone who didn't would have to face God at judgement w/o benefit of the surrogate suffering of Christ. When Colmes brought up Israel, a place with a lot of jews, PR said well when the savior returned they would all convert so no problemo. With friends like this, I'd say zionism is doomed. -- mbs

Nathan's point that I underestimate the importance of religion is well-taken. But really, now much power do Christian fundamenalists have over U.S. foreign policy? Right Wing Christians also supported aparteid in South Africa and continue to support Ian Paisley types in Northern Ireland, yet this doesn't seem to weigh on US foreign policy as much as Israel does.