anti-globalization label

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Wed Apr 10 10:51:03 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad DeLong" <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu>

> Wasn't my intention. I had thought that whether the world should be
> run from Washington (i.e., U.S. Congress and President decide on what
> other countries are allowed to export, whether Canada is allowed to
> have a cultural policy, what India's environmental policy should be)
> or not was a substantive point.
>
> More broadly, however, I do think that the big problem with Seattle
> was precisely the absence of an image of utopia around which people
> could rally. And I think that the mainstream media, craven ignorant
> Republican boot-licking curs that they are, have picked up on that in
> calling it "anti-globalization"...
>

> Brad DeLong

Oh that's it. Because the organizers didn't come up with a Utopia alongside a multidimensional critique of what's gone wrong with the IPE since 1973 -not to mention the prerogatives of many since 1492- we're an epistemic-moral failure. As if a few hundred organizers have the obligation to undemocratically draw up a map of paradise in the 21st century and tell 6 billion people to stick to it like the ten commandments.

Ian