anti-globalization label

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 10 13:44:38 PDT 2002

Brad DeLong wrote:

>More broadly, however, I do think that the big problem with Seattle
>was precisely the absence of an image of utopia around which people
>could rally.

That's not the way I remember it. The fantasy utopia was one of a humane universalism, a world free of violence and exploitation. A bit thin on the details, but I don't see how you could ever accuse the "Seattle" movement of a lack of utopian thinking. If anything, there's too much of it, and not enough grounding in reality.

Doug