anti-globalization label

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Wed Apr 10 23:50:18 PDT 2002

Brad Delong would have us "Consider the groups that were at Seattle:"

>The Turtle People were >complaining that the WTO was >getting in the
>way of the U.S. Congress's >dictating Indian environmental >policy.

At first I thought you were referring to a northwest tribe. But now I get it. And were they in attendance at the consensus style policy meetings?

>The
>WTO said that it was unfair for the >U.S. Congress to prohibit imports
>of shrimp caught without turtle->excluder devices off of India while
>allowing imports of shrimp caught >without turtle-excluder devices in >the
Caribbean.

Certainly seems unfair to do so, though wouldn't it be nice if the WTO took in the exclusion of both?

>The textile workers were >complaining that the U.S. had >committed to
>(sometime in the far future) the >phase-out of the Multi-Fiber
>Agreement that restricts textile >exports to the U.S. from places >like
Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, >Indonesia, and Nicaragua that
><sarcasm>really don't need or >want the work.</sarcasm>

Well we know how much pain for both US and foreign workers you neolibs always feel.

>The Hollywood unions were >complaining that NAFTA was not >neoliberal
enough: their complaint >was that NAFTA allowed the >Canadians a special carve-out to >preserve Canadian culture and >entertainment.

Did Alec Baldwin say this? Sounds more like Eisner.

>Others were complaining that >Starbucks bought beans grown >and picked by
poor workers on >large plantations in (poor) >Indonesia rather than
>beans shade-grown and picked by >middle-class Costa Rican farmers.

And Starbucks sits in on the WTO meetings? Or did Juan Valdes send his oldest son?

>Still others were complaining that >McDonalds opens restaurants
>outside the United States.

A bit late to complain now.

>Still others were complaining that >McDonalds opens restaurants >inside the
United States...

It's amazing how the US still needs more McD's built, isn't it?

>We neoliberals at least have broad >agreement that developing->country
governments are corrupt, >by and large (East Asia excepted) >lack the competence to run >successful developmental states, >and hence the best
>chance is to try to shrink them to >keep them out of the way of
>economic development for a >generation or so. We have broad >agreement that
maximizing >economic contact--trade, >investment, et cetera--is
>our best chance for accelerating >technology transfer to poor
>economies and hence putting >ourselves on the road to what >may for the
first time in history >become a truly human world.

Wow, you sure get ambitious in retrospect. When you were economic kings, I thought you and Larry stood around and listened to Bill and Vern talk 'serious pussy', how to get rid of an intern in the morning, and golf handicaps or something.

>You can't even agree whether the >big problem is that the U.S.
>Congress does not exercise >enough or exercises too little >dominion over
India...Brad DeLong

As if, as if anything you just wrote had anything to do whatsover with what happened to the US-engineered derailment of the consensus policy making process in the actual meetings in Seattle. Might have been nice if some of you had spoke up to rein in companies like Enron in India--then human history might have been a little more humane.

Charles Jannuzi