RES: RES: Empire RIP

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 11 06:44:02 PDT 2002

Carl Remick wrote:

> [clip]
> >
> >-But the US economy did quite well in the last 10 years despite its
> >relative
> >-industrial decline. And doesn´t seem to be in the verge of collapse. How
> >do
> >-you see this??? Alexandre Fenelon
>
> Agreed, the US isn't on the verge of collapse. As Saint Adam Smith noted,
> there's a lot of ruin in a nation. But arguably ruination is the route the
> US is pursuing.

I don't know where I read this -- perhaps on this list or pen-l, but someplace in the last week or so I read an argument that the decline in the industrial labor force in the U.S/ was almost entirely due to increases in productivity, _not_ to runaway shops, which were only marginal in the process.

Anyone have any comment?

Carrol