RES: RES: Empire RIP

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 20:02:01 PDT 2002

>From: "Alexandre Fenelon" <afenelon at zaz.com.br>
>
>The idea that hard assets don't matter anymore and that an economy can be
>fueled entirely by abstract brainpower has certainly been argued by various
>celebrants of the "virtual" corporation -- Enron's management being
>prominent among them. Things don't seem to be going quite their way.
>
>Carl
>

>-But the US economy did quite well in the last 10 years despite its
>relative
>-industrial decline. And doesn´t seem to be in the verge of collapse. How
>do
>-you see this???
>
> Alexandre Fenelon

Agreed, the US isn't on the verge of collapse. As Saint Adam Smith noted, there's a lot of ruin in a nation. But arguably ruination is the route the US is pursuing. Great Britain, too, strode the world like a colossus, the envy of all, when its economic innards were already starting to rot. As for the US with its lighter-than-air enterprises as a world economic model and powerhouse, there was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago about how transient the value of intangible assets can be, how swiftly and utterly intellectual property can lose value. I think there are many more Enrons to come.

Carl