anti-globalization label

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:58:00 PDT 2002

At 08:14 PM 4/9/2002 -0400, Lance wrote:
>I'm tired of the corporate-owned media calling people opposed to corporate
>globalization, anti-globalization. They might as well call us flat
>earthers. Has this been discussed in some leftie thing that I
>missed? The abortion people have good PR terms - pro-life and
>pro-choice. Why have we let them get away with appropriating the
>globalization label and saying we're opposed to it?
>
>I think the term pro-internationalism is good. Or internationalist.

Hey pro-internationalizationist Lance! I have recently discovered that as colleges/universities internationalize/diversify their campuses there is definite preference for using the international label over anything global because of the exploitative and unequal connotations with globalization -- so global studies become international studies... I have also seen the "grassroots" globalization vs. "corporate" globalization distinction used by free traders who include equity as part of efficiency or consider inequity a misallocation.

Just another kindred internationalizationist