anti-globalization label

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Apr 11 16:34:54 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org>

> I don't buy that this is a sell-out. I think the report was distortng and
> sets out to pit Oxfam against other groups, while downplaying the extremely
> harsh critique of First World countries. Oxfam made the absolutely right on
> point that the US and Europe are hypocrites on the issue of trade,
> advocating the dropping of trade barriers in developing nations, while
> keeping up trade barriers in crucial markets like agriculture where those
> developing nations would benefit most from global trade.

For an interesting piece that looks at the boundaries and interstices of trade policy, industrial organization and corporate governance with an eye towards democracy:

< http://www.linstitute.org/papers/1.pdf >

Discussion Paper 1: Strategic trade policy reconsidered: national rivalry vs free trade vs international competition. Date: 1997 Author(s): Keith Cowling & Roger Sugden More recent version published as: Cowling, Keith. and Sugden, Roger. (1998). "Strategic trade policy reconsidered: national rivalry vs free trade vs international cooperation", Kyklos, 51, pp.339-357.