Enron suicide note disclosed

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 11 19:37:22 PDT 2002

>From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
> >
> > Here it is, Enron ex-vice-chairman J. Clifford Baxter suicide note,
> > addressed to his wife:
> >
> > "I am so sorry for this. I feel I just can't go on. I have always tried
> > do the right thing, but where there was once great pride, now it's gone.
> > love you and the children so much. I just can't be any good to you or
> > myself. The pain is overwhelming. Please try to forgive me. Cliff."
> >

>An overwhelming number of suicides, whatever their immediate occasion,
>have clinical depression as their general context. And what all
>sufferers from depression will tell you is that we can't describe the
>pain. It is a pain that will not be ignored. Doesn't help much, does it?
>
>That note rings wholly true to me.
>
>Carrol

I must say that I am no stranger to bleak moods -- having gotten word earlier today that I'm being let go, the second time in a year. Nevertheless, I think I was crass in airing doubts about the note and should have kept my thoughts to myself. Chances are the note is genuine, and it's a sad thing anyone should come to such a pass. The man's family have obviously suffered terribly, both from the event itself and the public exposure that comes from news coverage. They really don't need one more word of idle speculation like this from anyone.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx