Enron suicide note disclosed

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 12 08:09:43 PDT 2002

strictly speaking, Michael, anything is possible. some people tune out the clues of a person preparing to commit suicide. but if that person reflects, under the encouragement of a therapist or other knowledgeable party after the tragedy, the clues become highly apparent -- such as giving away one's possessions, a sense of tranquility now that the decision has been made, etc. i notice that doug mentioned the latter as an outward symptom of relief and resolve, which is clinically quite correct in many instances -- backed up by steve perry's email message also.

the people closely associated with J. Clifford Baxter apparently had their antenna out and didn't pick up a single indication that his "suicide" was in the offing. in fact, just the opposite. from a political and clinical standpoint, there is little or no doubt in my mind that this was not a suicide. people enjoying retirement and making positive plans for their future don't just wake up one morning and say to themselves, "hey, i think i'll commit suicide today." if that were the case, there'd be a lot more enron execs dead due to loosing "great pride" derived from beating the system in style.

it's extremely difficult to be a "closet" clinical depressive. the symptoms of clinical depression are so devastating that it's impossible to keep them from those closest to you at all times. and from most people. ever seen a pal who looked a little depressed? multiply that by a thousand and you've got clinical depression. it's easier to hide an elephant at a tea party.