Enron suicide note disclosed

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Fri Apr 12 08:38:31 PDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Michael Pollak wrote:
> afterwards, Was he depressed at lot in the weeks before? they'd all say
> yes. Is this wrong? Can you be a sort of closet clinical depressive, so
> that people who talk to you every day would never suspect?

Most depressives are, in fact, "closet clinical depressives". One's public face is the last one to deteriorate, and it deteriorates when one is in a sufficiently bad state as to make a well-planned and -executed suicide rather difficult to accomplish.

This bears discussion in two different themes.

First, why is the public/work face the last to deteriorate, while the one shown to one's loved ones is the first? Do we tend to self-identify as an economic consumer/producer?

Second, it's an interesting conflict to the prejudice against the mentally ill, that being that they're expensive and unproductive. Although I do have a further question on productivity.

I am rather interested in the cognitive effects of depression - rather like a can of syrup poured over one's mind, as Carrol said. I do wonder whether this has a significant effect on self-correction and hence on workplace competence. Does anyone have any information in this respect?

Marco