Life in the USA

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 07:42:04 PDT 2002

Yes, the pursuit of happiness continues to take curious turns in the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave. E.g., from today’s NY Times:

[Exhibit A: Land of the Free]

For Some, Drug Tests Are Almost Impossible

By Sana Siwolop

Joseph Kinneary's inability to urinate in close proximity to other people almost cost him his job. Even now, he is fighting sanctions that have relegated him to desk work from his old perch as a boat captain for New York City.

It might sound like the stuff of late-night comedy, but the anxiety disorder that plagues Mr. Kinneary is a harsh reality for a surprisingly large number of men. For some of them, it can be a career killer because it deprives them of the ability to produce urine for random drug tests. {http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/14/business/yourmoney/14JMAR.html}

[Exhibit B: Home of the Brave]

To Conquer Burnout, Think Smaller

By Melinda Ligos

It was the defining moment of Mary Lou Quinlan's career: While in a taxi on her way to work two years ago, Ms. Quinlan, then chief executive of the N.W. Ayer ad agency in Manhattan, fantasized about breaking all her limbs in a traffic accident - or at least a leg or two. "I thought to myself, 'Maybe if I jump in front of this cab, I can go the hospital and finally get some peace and quiet,'" she said. ...

David N. Rosen also escaped from the rat race. As the technical team leader of the technology consulting division at Oracle, he had been working for a year and a half on a project that required him to fly every week from Los Angeles to Portland, Ore.

Working through the night at the client's office early last year, he witnessed the emotional meltdown of a colleague at 2 a.m. The project was not going well, and the client had complained to Oracle's top management. The two men had a talk, and the colleague "basically had a nervous breakdown," Mr. Rosen said.

"He sank into the wall and began crying and saying he couldn't take it anymore,” Mr. Rosen said. "All that was running through my mind was, 'This could be me soon.'" {http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/14/business/yourmoney/14EXLI-1.html}

Carl