Venezuelan Interim President Resigns

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Sun Apr 14 08:51:58 PDT 2002

On Sunday, April 14, 2002, at 10:40 AM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> On Sunday, April 14, 2002, at 10:21 AM, SergioL652 at aol.com wrote:
>

>> That's way too charitable.  What I have read in the Spanish media
>> makes no mention of a change of heart from the trade unions.  The CTV
>> has consistently been Anti-chavez and pro coup.  I would say that the
>> main reason the coup took place in the first place was its support by
>> the CTV.  The anti-coup forces appear to have come from the slums and
>> they protested not only the directors of the coup, but the Venezuelan
>> media, surrounding their offices, because of their anti-Chavez slant.
>
> what's not clear to me is who the CTV actually represents. i've been
> wondering about it the whole time, and i would be grateful for some
> enlightenment on this question.

and btw, the AP is quoting "confederation director jesus urbietta" as saying that the coup lost the ctv's support when carmona announced that he was dissolving the legislature. it looks to me rather as if they got suckered into supporting the coup, their hatred for chavez blinding them to what else was going on and what was likely to come out of it.

but that's just my impression, at this point.