Venezuelan Interim President Resigns

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Apr 14 09:33:55 PDT 2002

>That's way too charitable. What I have read in the Spanish media
>makes no mention of a change of heart from the trade unions. The
>CTV has consistently been Anti-chavez and pro coup. I would say
>that the main reason the coup took place in the first place was its
>support by the CTV. The anti-coup forces appear to have come from
>the slums and they protested not only the directors of the coup, but
>the Venezuelan media, surrounding their offices, because of their
>anti-Chavez slant.
>

>Déjenme decirles, a riesgo de parecer ridículo, que el
>revolucionario verdadero está guiado por grandes sentimientos de
>amor.
>

> Che

This needs to be heard. Unions are NOT going to be the force for the kind of changes needed in the US or anywhere else really. We no longer live in the 1920s. I have to agree with Katha Pollit on her scepticism re the thnking that unions are our route to social justice though they can play a positive role for the workers who are members of particular unions. Frankly, they've been a huge disaappointment as a force for social change. marta -- -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020414/e9fa4f7a/attachment.htm>