The New Science

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sun Apr 14 14:03:16 PDT 2002

There was some hypothesizing last week that the reason patients taking anti-depressants sometimes commit suicide is that these drugs make them feel well enough that they have the energy to execute a plan (liek suicide)...before making a full recovery and realizing that the plan is a bad one. This runs counter to what I have been reading about anti-depressants...that being that they are, in the main, drugs that increase one's agitational level and that, in fact, the risk for suicide rises as much in the control group (of nondepressed patients) as it does with those who are suffering from depression. Unfortunately, I can't cite that article, but the following one suggests how much research data has to do with pharmacological science these days. FYI.

Suicide Science

The current situation in peer-reviewed publication in academic and clinical medical research is starting to resemble the Church's control over publication of anything in, say, 1300.

RICK GIOMBETTI

See:

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20020412&fname=rick&sid=1