The New Science

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Apr 14 22:02:16 PDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, joanna bujes wrote:

> anti-depressants...that being that they are, in the main, drugs that
> increase one's agitational level and that, in fact, the risk for suicide
> rises as much in the control group (of nondepressed patients) as it does
> with those who are suffering from depression.

As I understand the literature on SSRIs like Prozac, the drug seems to provoke suicidal ideation and behavior in a small number of people who take it. I don't think it's a general, powerful effect on everyone. People respond in surprisingly diverse ways to these drug therapies, as a number of people on the list have posted.

But the pharmas still run ads making drugs sound like magic bullets...

Miles