college "liberalism"

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Sun Apr 14 16:14:07 PDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
> but i wonder if this wasn't really based on an analysis of baby boomers
> and not of college qua college over longer periods of time. what would
> this actually look like for the generation that was in high
> school/college in teh 80s?

I think that this phenomenon dates to the 50's or so, so it precedes the boomers by a decade at least. It's taken as pretty much a given in the social psychology literature. I can try to dig it out if you like.

An interesting note is that they never backslide to the level of the general population; they just become more conservative than new graduates. Which does stand to reason again; social mores do change and leave older people behind.

m.