college "liberalism"

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Sun Apr 14 22:08:16 PDT 2002

On Sunday, April 14, 2002, at 06:14 PM, Marco Anglesio wrote:

> I think that this phenomenon dates to the 50's or so, so it precedes the
> boomers by a decade at least. It's taken as pretty much a given in the
> social psychology literature. I can try to dig it out if you like.

i would be interested, but, seriously, don't knock yourself out. the thing is, i know it's taken as a given, because it was fed to me that way. that's precisely what makes me wonder about it. that doesn't make it wrong. just makes me wonder.

and i do still wonder about people who started college in, say, the late 80's or early 90's, and i wonder what will become of this class in the UCLA study that entered college already more liberal-minded than any class in twenty years or whatever it was. how did they get that way? it wasn't college, because they're just starting college. and what will become of them and their liberal-minded attitudes fifteen years hence? what is all that liberal/left-mindedness grounded in? will it be enhanced by higher ed? will it fall away when they grow up in some sort of anthony burgess _a clockwork orange_ way?