China PNTR & AFL 'funding' for IPS

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Apr 15 13:20:50 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Shorrock" <tshorrock51 at hotmail.com>

>According to senior people with both
>organizations, neither IPS or IHRP receive any labor funds, nor have they
>solicited funds from the AFL-CIO or any unions.
>Nathan, I suggest a little more care in your reporting and in your
>characterizations of principled people on the left and within the labor
>movement.

Tim-- I have no idea if IPS got funds from the AFL-CIO in the last year or so, but my source for my statement was IPS's own most recent annual report on their web site at http://www.ips-dc.org/downloads/IPS1999AnnRpt.pdf. On page 19, they list their financial supporters and said they wanted to thank the following "high donors" to the organization. Among the many foundations and folks like Paul Newman is listed in clear type-- the AFL-CIO and AFSCME as well.

And soliciting funds from the AFL does not reflect badly on IPS in my view-- I was just makig the point that the AFL gives money in an array of areas, including some leftwing groups.

My complaint is that folks keep defaming quite principled people at the AFL-CIO who also have the burdens of representing the folks who elected them, a burden folks receiving most of their money from foundations can lightly dismiss.

-- Nathan Newman