Wolfowitz Booed at Pro-Israel Rally

Charlie Herbert chasherb at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 09:47:10 PDT 2002

Ravi wrote:
>>i have what is surely a naive question: why is it
>>that we have great
>>intellectual discussions on LBO and similar left
>>lists, and everyone
>>seems to agree that the palestinian side of the
>>story is seldom heard in
>>the US and deserves support, but we on the left
>>cannot organize such a
>>show of support (as this pro-israel DC event) in
>>favour of a peace that
>>can be achieved only through more honest
>>participation on the part of
>>the israeli govt? is it just that i am missing such
>>calls and waiting to
>>be picked up by limousine? or is the left too
>>fragmented? or are the
>>palestinians entirely to blame for the problem?
>>frustrated and unhappy,
>>
>>--ravi

Intellectual discussions are one type of list, organizing for agitation and collective action is another (and most of these are just supplements to the old fashioned face to face organizing). In spite of left fragmentation, many continue to work on common projects. Check out your local indymedia to find out what’s happening. One meeting a week should get you sufficiently hooked into some invigorating action. Your local intifada could use some good thaxis (that word should have it’s own tongue twister) from you.

Also, if you’re in the DC area this weekend, your limo has arrived:

All from http://www.riseup.net/april2002/calendar.php

Palestinian Solidarity Feeder March [feeding into larger anti-glob/anti-war march] - Washington DC

Conference: Globalization, US Militarism, and the Struggle for Justice in Palestine - Washington DC Friday, April 19th 2002 12:00 - 6:00 PM - Located at: American University's Ward Building

Saturday, April 20th 2002 10:30am March from AIPAC Conference to MGJ Rally at IMF/WB Located at: Washington Hilton (Connecticut and T Sts, NW)

AIPAC Press Conference - Washington DC Monday, April 22nd 2002 4:00pm Located at: outside of AIPAC at Washington Hilton

Creative Actions around AIPAC Conference - Washington DC Monday, April 22nd 2002 4:30pm

AIPAC Rally - Washington DC Monday, April 22nd 2002 6:30pm Gathering around Washington Hilton for rally/picketing during Sharon’s address –

Located at: Washington Hilton

Anti-Capitalist Actions Against Sharon and Racism - Washington DC Monday, April 22nd 2002 5:30pm Anti-Capitalist Bloc in solidarity with others against Sharon and Racism – Located at: 1919 Connecticut Ave

Encouraged -- charlie