lbo-talk-digest V1 #6015

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Tue Apr 16 10:08:10 PDT 2002

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:06:59 -0700 From: Brad DeLong Subject: Re: Berube, Part Two

>I would be very happy to see Kissinger on trial in Chile for
>conspiring to murder General Schneider. But how does one >wrong make a
>second wrong right? Just because Henry Kissinger is not on >trial in
>Chile does not mean Osama bin Laden has some kind of >right to a
>sanctuary in Afghanistan from which he could launch terror >attacks.

Perhaps one day in this malignant fucking world, it will be possible to see that if two wrongs don't make a right, then nor do three, and the fact that Osama bin Laden arranged the destruction of the World Trade Centre does not justify the bombing of anyone other than Osama bin Laden. Or indeed, that asking for evidence in an extradition proceedings does not usually attract a sentence of death by bombing.

Until that glorious day, it is apparently a source of comfort for well-meaning Californian academics that the only people at the sharp end of this fine syllogism are, as Mr Schwartz acutely observes, wogs. Allah be praised for small mercies, and thank heavens that that nice American boy who got caught up in all this has been safely returned home.

dd