lbo-talk-digest V1 #6015

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 16 11:30:46 PDT 2002

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:06:59 -0700
>From: Brad DeLong
>Subject: Re: Berube, Part Two
>

>>I would be very happy to see Kissinger on trial in Chile for
>>conspiring to murder General Schneider. But how does one >wrong make a
>>second wrong right? Just because Henry Kissinger is not on >trial in
>>Chile does not mean Osama bin Laden has some kind of >right to a
>>sanctuary in Afghanistan from which he could launch terror >attacks.
>
>Perhaps one day in this malignant fucking world, it will be possible to see
>that if two wrongs don't make a right, then nor do three, and the fact that
>Osama bin Laden arranged the destruction of the World Trade Centre does not
>justify the bombing of anyone other than Osama bin Laden. Or indeed, that
>asking for evidence in an extradition proceedings does not usually attract
>a sentence of death by bombing...

Now, in an extradition proceeding the guy being extradited is not usually left free to plan and commit further mass murders while the process grinds forward.

Had the Taliban said, "This is horrible. Osama bin Laden and all his lieutenants are now in custody. Their network is broken up. We will not allow Afghan soil to be used as a base for launching further terrorist attacks," and had they done so credibly, things *might* have been very different.

But if I were you, I would scrub your brain of the implicit assumption that the Afghan people are worse off because of the removal of the Taliban. The Pakistani ISI did a *bad* thing in putting them into power in the first place.

Brad DeLong