Berube

virgil tibbs sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 12:08:52 PDT 2002

I note that yow are still arguing against a position I never took in any post. But, just so that you are not just whacking off in the wind, try this: Not long ago, those same Afghanis supported the Taliban. Why? Because, you see, those pesky warlords ain't no picnic. It turns out that years of unrest can make many a man, woman, and child long for an authoritarian regime. Just take a look at Russia. Do you think so many Russians would fight to the death to avoid a return of a represssive "communism" if it meant shorter bread lines?

As for your point about the increase of human rights and civil liberties in Afghanistan, I applaud, though I am pessimistic that it will endure much past the removal of U.S. forces. Had I ever posted on the subject, that is exactly what I would have said.