Russian anti-Semitism

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 14:53:09 PDT 2002

Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> writes

"Russian antisemitism is very real"

which I feel is probably true, despite Chris Doss's assurances.

and recounts an anecdote in which a woman

"told me that she got out her passport marked with her nationality (Russian) and waved it about, saying, I am pure _Russian_!"

I'm not sure what the point is, but I remember Teodor Shanin recounting that his identity papers marked him as a Jew, where it said nationality.

I'm sure others know better than I, but my recollection is that the late Soviet nationalities policy actively promoted parochial allegiances - perhaps part of the reason that Chechen separatism became uncontainable. -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'