myth of fundamentalism

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 14:52:14 PDT 2002

Brad DeLong, replying to this observation:

Tariq "Ali seems to over-emphasize the degree to which secular forces exists in places like Pakistan."

Brad says:

"Those are his people. He's supposed to be willing to face up to the fact that they are a disorganized, demoralized, pathetic, powerless remnant?"

I'm not sure what 'his people' means in this context. Tariq Ali lived most of his adult life in England, to which culture he made quite a contribution.

I suppose it is probably fair to say that secular trends are not strong in Pakistan, but it would be a mistake to see it as lost to fundamentalism as well.

Unlike Iran, or South Lebanon's Hizbullah, Pakistan's "fundamentalism" was a top-down affair, promoted by US and UK placeman Zia ul Haq. Zia used a fairly artificial re-invention of 'Islamic' law to suppress the ferment of opposition that the always fragile Pakistani state has been susceptible to ever since it broke from India on narrowly sectarian lines.

In my experience Westerners are transfixed by what they take to be a fervent 'fundamentalism' (of any variety from Islamic to Christian) because their own belief system is so shallow that any halfway meant expression of intent seems awesome. Put another way, all the talk about the power of fundamentalism is just ill-disguised jealousy that other people are not racked by the same nagging self-doubts that preoccupy western culture (though in all likelihood, they are). -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'