Russian anti-Semitism

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Apr 19 00:14:56 PDT 2002

Russian antisemitism is very real--it's why I'm here! (In the US). It's probably less than in Stalin's day. Some of it is unconsciosu and not ill-intended. I have a friend who is an editor of Znamya, one od the Russian

literary journals (and incidentally the daughter in law of the late novelist

Anatoly Ryabykov), very liberal/progressive though not left. One time we were talking about an uproar in the House of Writers during perestroika, where some neoStalinsits accused the perestroika supporters of being, among other things, Zhidy (Yids, kikes, sheenys). She told me that she got out her

passport marked with her nationality (Russian) and waved it about, saying, I

am pure _Russian_! Well, naturally we didn't feel at home even even the progressive Russians don't thinkw e're Russian.

You will NEVER hear an Ashkanazi Jew of Russian descent say, I'm Russian, the way some Americans say, "I'm Polish" or "I'm Irish." Matter of fact, we weren't, we aren't.

jks ---------- I didn't say it wasn't real. I said I haven't encountered it, beyond the level of slight prejudice. (Of course, I'm not Jewish.)

In any case, it's nothing compared to what Georgians, Dagestanis and Armenians have to deal with. God help you if your passport says "Chechnya" on it. Street thugs don't run around beating up Jews; they run around beating up Caucasians.

Though there have been some arson attacks on synagogues recently. Not in Moscow, though, way out there in the provinces.

RE: Your comment: Judaism was considered a nationality on Soviet passports, hence your friend's behavior.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal