Russian anti-Semitism

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri Apr 19 00:48:58 PDT 2002

James Heartfield wrote: I'm sure others know better than I, but my recollection is that the late Soviet nationalities policy actively promoted parochial allegiances - perhaps part of the reason that Chechen separatism became uncontainable. ------------------ The Chechnya situation is compounded by the fact that Stalin deported the population en masse because a large percentage had collaborated with the Nazis. I don't know when they were repatriated.

The tribalism that helped tear apart the USSR was just lunatic. Everybody wanted their own little ethnically based statelet -- regardless of what the prospects for that statelet would be. It should have been obvious to everyone that an independent Georgia and Moldova are totally unviable.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the dissolution of the USSR by its member republics has got to be just about the dumbest geopolitical move I can think of in living memory (that is, if what you care about is conditions in the FSU, and not becoming tsar of your little piece of the FSU, which was what the elites in Georgia, Ukraine, Russia, etc., were after). Gorby (and Bush I, by the way) were both 100% correct in predicting it would be a disaster.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal