Greenspan, thinking

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Apr 20 10:06:20 PDT 2002

>^^^^^^^
>
>CB: I urge you to put the word "mass" in quotes too. The overwhelming majority of people have
never heard of her or it. Of the ones who have heard of her, I would guess the majority of them don't find her philosophy appealing.

I understand that her books are some of the all-time best sellers. How much of the general population actually read books is another question. One of the main things I remeber about her is the turn in one of her novels (the Fountainhead?) where the capitalists and those who "pull the wagon" according to Phil Graham go on strike and then trudge out of town to go start their own utopia. I find that hilarious. It's a different thing than a capital strike, like what happened to France in the 1980s. It's sorta like what happened in Venezuela. When the head of the business federation/ junta-installed leader named a cabinet with no labor representatives and when the rank and file military units started asserting themselves, guess what? Chavez is back. A good rejoinder to the Randians is Bertolt Brecht’s poem “Questions from a Worker Who Reads,” which starts, “Who built Thebes of the seven gates? / In the books you will find the names of kings. / Did the kings haul up the lumps of rock?”

Peter