the official blather

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Apr 21 09:47:03 PDT 2002

<http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pr/2002/pr0222.htm>

Press Release No. 02/22 April 20, 2002 International Monetary Fund 700 19th Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20431 USA

Communiqué of the International Monetary and Financial Committee of the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund

1. The International Monetary and Financial Committee held its fifth meeting in Washington, D.C. on April 20, 2002, under the Chairmanship of Mr. Gordon Brown, Chancellor of the Exchequer of the United Kingdom. The Committee welcomes the international community's decisive policy actions, especially following the tragic events of September 11, 2001, to maintain financial stability, restore the momentum of world economic growth, and reinvigorate the fight against poverty. We will also sustain our global action to combat money laundering and the financing of terrorism. Our meeting in Ottawa last November emphasized the importance of a collaborative approach for the IMF and its members. Going forward, we will continue to work together for sustained, broad-based growth, creating opportunities for productive employment, reducing vulnerabilities, opening up our economies for trade, and providing resources for durable poverty reduction.

[...]