the official blather

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Apr 21 13:07:39 PDT 2002

At 21/04/02 12:47 -0400, you wrote:
><http://www.imf.org/external/np/sec/pr/2002/pr0222.htm>
>
>Press Release No. 02/22
>April 20, 2002
>International Monetary Fund
>700 19th Street, NW
>Washington, D.C. 20431 USA
>
>Communiqué
>of the International Monetary and Financial Committee of the Board of
>Governors of the International Monetary Fund
>
>1. The International Monetary and Financial Committee held its fifth
>meeting in Washington, D.C. on April 20, 2002, under the Chairmanship of
>Mr. Gordon Brown, Chancellor of the Exchequer of the United Kingdom. The
>Committee welcomes the international community's decisive policy actions,
>especially following the tragic events of September 11, 2001, to maintain
>financial stability, restore the momentum of world economic growth, and
>reinvigorate the fight against poverty. We will also sustain our global
>action to combat money laundering and the financing of terrorism. Our
>meeting in Ottawa last November emphasized the importance of a
>collaborative approach for the IMF and its members. Going forward, we will
>continue to work together for sustained, broad-based growth, creating
>opportunities for productive employment, reducing vulnerabilities, opening
>up our economies for trade, and providing resources for durable poverty
>reduction.
>
>[...]

But there will be some nuance somewhere in the official text. We need to be able to read the code. That is the purpose of blather, to manage conflict blandly.

But there will be conflict behind the scenes.

Perhaps in this passage there is a nuance is in the debatable meaning of "durable" poverty reduction.

Chris Burford