Joanna's Question about Homeless Mobilization

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 21 17:01:10 PDT 2002

><<Why have there
>> been no mobilizations on the part of the most
>> disposesed members of our
>> society? I'm curious...it has been going on for over
>> twenty years now...
>
>Joanna, yours is an excellent question!
>I know of numerous times that there have been
>occupations of empty housing around San Francisco and
>their supporters but I dont know of any
>demonstrations.
>
>Doesn't it seem that there is a preference on the
>American Left
>to take up issues "Over there" than to take up issues
>at home. Why is that? Could it be that the Left in
>this country is based mostly among students?
>
>I remember when I was going to university, a lot of us
>were heavily involved with the anti-apartheid
>movement.
>When the university workers went on strike, my student
>comrades did not want to get involved beyond the level
>of not crossing the picket lines, even though, when I
>spoke at the union meeting a vowed to get student
>support, my suggestion was warmly received by the
>workers.
>
>-Thomas

When OSU workers (e.g., custodians, food service workers, bus drivers, electricians, etc.) represented by CWA Local 4501 went on strike in 2000, we (student & community activists) occupied the administration building for the duration of the strike (more than three weeks), as well as organized picket supports, held demos and rallies, staged a work stoppage of OSU TAs & professors, etc. (Some of you long-time LBO-talkers remember my posts on the strike: <http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0005/author.html>). Here's an article about the strike & student strike support from a local weekly: <http://www.columbusalive.com/2000/20000504/news3.html>. -- Yoshie