Joanna's Question about Homeless Mobilization

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 21 16:19:31 PDT 2002

<<Why have there
> been no mobilizations on the part of the most
> disposesed members of our
> society? I'm curious...it has been going on for over
> twenty years now...

Joanna, yours is an excellent question! I know of numerous times that there have been occupations of empty housing around San Francisco and their supporters but I dont know of any demonstrations.

Doesn't it seem that there is a preference on the American Left to take up issues "Over there" than to take up issues at home. Why is that? Could it be that the Left in this country is based mostly among students?

I remember when I was going to university, a lot of us were heavily involved with the anti-apartheid movement. When the university workers went on strike, my student comrades did not want to get involved beyond the level of not crossing the picket lines, even though, when I spoke at the union meeting a vowed to get student support, my suggestion was warmly received by the workers.

-Thomas

--- joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> wrote:
> As I walked away from the San Francisco city hall,
> endpoint of the SF demo
> 4/20, I saw a beggar in a wheelchair shaking his
> fist and shouting:
>
> "FREE THE HOMELESS OF SAN FRANCISCO!!! Don't worry
> about those other folks.
> Start with the ones at home!"
>
> I've been thinking for a long, long time that there
> should be a homeless
> march on DC or SF or any major US city. Does anyone
> know? Why have there
> been no mobilizations on the part of the most
> disposesed members of our
> society? I'm curious...it has been going on for over
> twenty years now...
>
> Joanna

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx