200,000 Protest the "War Without End"

Bradley Mayer bradleymayer at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 22 14:44:48 PDT 2002

- --- pms <laflame at aaahawk.com> wrote:

> Ramsey agreed with activists' assessment of the
> atmosphere and peaceful
> nature of the march, calling the rally "an
> outstanding event."
>
> Bad career move for the good Chief?

No, GOOD career move for the Chief. If you have a choice between Martin Luther King or Malcolm X (and you're the authorities) you choose MLK to promote.

I am sure the DC police prefer good little boys and girls who sing Peace songs but dont cause any real trouble like those ne'er-do-wells in Seattle ;)

Thomas ------------------------------------------------------ Except, Thomas, that the ne'er-do-wells in Seattle were the police, who began rioting at 4PM sharp on Tuesday. At least that is how it looked to me, as I fled the scene with my (outraged) daughter. The vast majority of the anarco-trashing, etc., began after this point.

So, the D.C. cops - a more experienced and disciplined force, naturally, given their beat - didn't need to riot, since there was no vital object to protect, like the WTO.

But the proportionally larger turnout on the East Coast is good news, especially given that the prime issue du jour is the Middle East. It is still too small - I know the East can crank out 500,000 in D.C. if it wants to (as in a huge NOW rally I attended at the end of the Eighties). But it does begin to address the gross inbalance that existed during the Gulf War, where the Bay Area made itself the center of opposition to the war by getting some 300,000 out on the streets while in D.C. less than 100,000 showed up. - Brad Mayer