UK budget, Israel

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 22 14:56:02 PDT 2002

>I have recently begun to suspect a class bias in
>_strong_ support for Israel, as opposed to not knowing
>what to think due to the heavily slanted coverage.
>The ideological identification is along the lines
>"Israel surrounded by enemies == US ruling class
>surronded by (potential or actual) enemies", including
>'internal' enemies (that's 'us', according to 'them')
>especially since 9/11.

Gee. When I talk to people, it's along the lines of "Hitler killed 6 million Jews. Hamas, Hizbollah, the Iranian Mullahs, the Al-Aqsa Brigades, and probably Yasser Arafat now are hoping to someday kill 4.5 million more (2.5 million of whom or so, IIRC, are the Sephardim... who made Aliyeh voluntarily or involuntarily from places like Damascus and Baghdad).

We in the United States were terribly late to the party that was World War II (and bear a lot of historical responsibility for being late to the party), even though we brought a lot of refreshments when we showed up. We need to make sure we do not make the same mistake twice. Hence our commitment to Israel is absolute.

It's historical memory of Auschwitz, not identification with Ariel Sharon, that is one of the principal drivers of U.S. policy.

Brad DeLong